dimanche 11 mars 2012

Icicle Race

So we got to our first race with Lady C on saturday March 10th 2012: the last of the 2012 Icicle series...
I was given a first PHRF estimate rating of 245.
With that rating, we finished 6th (4th in our spin category: http://www.gbca.org/Resources/Documents/2012%20Icicle%20Series%20Results.pdf), with much larger race boats behind us... We should have won, but I must have the halyards mixed inside the mast and we could not launch the spin like we wanted and lost quite some time. We where first at all the marks except the finish line. Wind was about 20 knots and we had all sails up, going up wind at 6 knots and surfing down wind at more than 8 knots... My two partners were excellent (much better than I am in this kind of wind) and I have to practice more with them to learn how to handle this great small boat better in stronger winds. Also, I was not very comfortable, knowing what happened to me last time we tried the spin...

I have a few things to improve on the boat:
1- I need a sheave and a line on the spin pole to launch the spin from the cokpit.
2- I need some sort of side hauler for the jib, as it was not optimized with only the jib tracks installed originally.
3- I need a fine tune set of blocks for the main sheet, as I have the 4 lines from origin and it is not enough in strong wind to work the main properly when sailing up wind.
4- And I need to address the halyards issue in the mast...
We could not make much better than 95 deg from tack to tack when going up wind. Lady C is the centerboard version for the SB18. I have prepared the fin for the keel version, I still need the bulb. Once I got that it will probably do a greater job!
All in all, we had great fun. This small boat is so pleasant to sail and so fast for the size, a real pleasure to sail...

Yves

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire